This Sunday, June 20th, marks this year’s summer solstice. This is also known as the official first day of SUMMER! For many, summer is a favorite time of year, and many look forward to it all year long. Today we are sharing with you a few fun and simple ways you can get out and “celebrate” the start of the summer season with your friends and family.
- Stay awake for the sunrise and sunset: The summer solstice doubles as the longest day of the entire year because the sun is out longer than any other day of the year – approximately 15 hours! If you are feeling up to it, staying up to welcome both the sunrise and sunset is a neat way to celebrate.
- Go on a nature hike: Since many flowering plants are at their peak around this time of the year, going for a hike could be a perfect way to celebrate the start of summer. For an extra challenge, bring along a few guidebooks to help you identify the plants and wildlife you see along the way.
- Eat your meals outside for the day: With an abundance of daylight comes the opportunity to enjoy your entire day outdoors if you desire. For a fun twist, consider dining “al fresco” for the day and enjoying each meal for the day outdoors, either in your backyard or at a park. You could also invite family or friends to join in on the fun.
- Create a summer bucket list: Summer is the perfect time to explore new places and try new things. Consider creating a list of things you want to do or places you would like to go this summer. These items do not have to be anything extreme, just think simple! Then, hold yourself accountable for accomplishing the things on your list before the end of the summer.
- Go to the pool or beach: Taking a trip to a pool or beach is the perfect summer activity and can be a great way to ring in the season. If you have one of these nearby, consider spending your day with friends and family relaxing by the water.