Using the air conditioning is a luxury that many take advantage of during the hot summer months, but the cost of it is sometimes worth less than the reward. Air conditioning costs can accrue quickly, making it an unreasonable option for some homeowners. There are other, more natural ways, of keeping your home cool throughout the summer that you can try. Most of these are little to no extra cost to you and are energy-saving.
- Unplug any unnecessary electronics or other items – Believe it or not, electronics or other gadgets that you have plugged in can produce excess heat as well as waste energy. If you are not currently using it, do yourself a favor and just unplug.
- Switch to energy-efficient lighting – DID YOU KNOW? Traditional light bulbs can increase the heat in a room by 11 degrees! That is a lot of heat from one tiny bulb. For a lower-energy choice, try using daylight whenever possible to complete your day to day activities.
- Avoid using the oven or stovetop on hot days – Pre planning meals is always a time-saving idea, but it can be especially helpful in the summer. If you are aware of an extremely hot day one week, plan eating around not using appliances such as your oven or stovetop. These only create more heat while they are in use. Instead, try using a grill, microwave, or crock pot on these days.
- Keep your blinds closed – As wonderful as the warm feeling of sunlight can be, leaving your blinds closed on a hot day can keep any excess heat out and keep your home nice and cool. If you just cannot live without the natural light, try lowering only the top of your shades about 6 inches to still let a bit of light through.
- Make sure your ceiling fans are blowing the correct direction – This is not a joke. Surprisingly, there is a correct and an incorrect way to set your ceiling fans. In order to properly circulate air on a hot day, your fans should be blowing in the counterclockwise direction.
Do you know any other quick tips for keeping your home naturally cool? Share them down below in the comments section!