When your closet gets too cluttered or unorganized, it may become less useful to you and be a cause of stress in your life. Today, we are sharing a few simple steps to “make over” your closet and how to start loving the space you have again! Not only will this task help you to feel less stressed, but you may find it as a good first step to getting the rest of your home organized as well.
- Clear out any clutter or unnecessary items. The first step in any organization project should be to go through the contents of what you are trying to organize. Get rid of anything that you do not think you will use again or that does not bring you joy. Evaluating each item may take time but in the end it will be worth it.
- Separate items by season. Keeping a limited number of items in your closet at a time can help with staying organized. When summer is in season, leave your heavier pieces in the back of your closet or in another room. With winter’s arrival, you can make a simple swap of your lighter and heavier clothing. This way, you never have to worry about sifting through unnecessary items.
- Upgrade your closet and its organization systems. A few simple tweaks to your closet’s appearance or its organization systems can be beneficial during this makeover process. Consider adding a new type of shelving, hooks or painting the walls a different color. You could also include a full-length mirror to help with picking out an outfit in the mornings. It is all up to YOU!
- Keep like items together. Storing similar clothing items together in your closet can be helpful with staying organized. This way, you will always know where to go when you are looking for a particular piece.
- Use labeling, where needed. Writing labels can be a helpful tool when trying to organize your closet after the cleanout. This is especially true for boxes and bins that are not see-through. This way, you are able to see what is in each box without having to go to the effort to take it down and go through the contents.