The holiday season has officially arrived, which is the cue for many families to start decorating their homes for the upcoming holidays. Along with this festive time of year can come increased pressure to “go big” and spend more for decorations, gifts, and other necessities. Opportunities to save money wherever possible can be welcoming. Today, we will be sharing a list of holiday DIY decorations that require little to no additional cost to make. If you choose to recreate any of these ideas, please share with us on social media – we would love to see!
- Greenery/Berries Garland: Any type of pine or fir garland is the perfect accent to add to any space in your home. They can easily complement the presence of a Christmas tree and can be easily created by using strands of real pine and embellishing with ribbon or fake berries.
- DIY Christmas Stockings: If you are into sewing, try creating your own unique stocking that no one else will own! All you will need is a few fabric swatches, some ribbon and hot glue. Feel free to mismatch the fabrics as well or try personalizing with your name or initials.
- Salt Dough Ornaments: Try your hand at baking for this next DIY! You can create a DIY ornament “dough” by combining 4 cups of flour, 1 cup of salt, and 1.5 cups of warm water. Roll and cut out the dough using your favorite cookie cutter shapes and bake for 1 hour. Voila! – you have your very own home-baked ornaments!
- “Wrap” Your Cabinets: You can add some festive flair to your kitchen this holiday season by covering the outside with wrapping paper. Cut the paper to fit the shape of your cabinet and use double-sided tape to secure. It is as easy as that!
- Personalized Photo Wreath: With the holidays looking a bit different this year, many of us will not get to see family and friends as we usually do this time of year. Keep them close by creating your very own personalized photo “wreath”. Take your favorite holiday (or other) photos of your favorite people and arrange them in a wreath shape. Use hot glue to attach them to a wire wreath shape and attach to your wall, as you would hang a traditional wreath.
- Dried Citrus Christmas Garland: For a different style of décor, try creating your own rustic citrus garland. First, slice an orange and dry out the slices in the oven for several hours. String the slices on top of a pine or fir garland and layer with some ribbon for some extra festivity. This type of “natural” décor is something different to try.
For more fun holiday DIYs, check out: https://www.countryliving.com/diy-crafts/tips/g907/craft-ideas-for-christmas-decorations-1209/?slide=1